Saturday, March 24, 2012

16 Weeks and All Is Well

This past week has been great.  Outside of our appointment there is really nothing to report.  I don't "feel" pregnant - other than this growing belly on me.  I've had no 1st trimester-like symptoms, but I can't feel the baby moving yet. 

Our 16 week appointment went great.  Juli (the midwife) had me lay on my back and showed me how to feel where the baby is since I can't actually feel the baby moving yet.  It seemed so obvious (and in the past I kind of wondered if it was the baby I was feeling) but it was nice to have her confirm it.  We also got to hear the heartbeat (a strong 158).  I never, never get tired of hearing that.  I understand why so many women buy home dopplers to listen to the heartbeat.  But those dopplers can be unreliable and cause you to stress out when there is no reason to worry.  And who needs that?

The other news from the appointment was that we got the results of the NT scan.  That's the ultrasound that tests for the likelihood of Down Syndrome.  Well - baby scored a 1.1.   Juli told us that 1.8 was basically the average of a "good report".  2.5 is when they consider you at (high?) risk.  So basically, 1.1 is really, really good.  So excellent.

This is probably a good time to explain why we keep seeing a midwife.  Our practice is "Physicians and Midwives".  At each appointment they try to schedule you with a different doctor or midwife so that you rotate through and see most everyone.  Assuming everything is going well through the pregnancy and delivery, a midwife actually is the one who is there in the delivery. The midwives spend more time with you and basically do most of the work.  However, if there are any complications, a doctor steps in.  In the time that I've been going to this practice, I've had appointments with 4 different doctors and 2 midwives.  Overall, I have been really happy with the practice. 

Time for my belly picture.  Now, before you think "well my goodness, NOW she looks pregnant," I would like to point out that my belly really hasn't a lot in the last week.  It's just that this outfit shows it off much better.  Also, I would like to point out the one thing that a few people have now said to me that really irritates me.  It is "You're not even showing yet."  You know what I hear when people say that?  "Honey, you've always looked that fat."  Ahhh!  Alright - here it is!


I realize that it's nearly impossible to read this sign.  I liked the idea, but I didn't want to buy a chalkboard and chalk.  I hate chalk.  It makes my fingers itchy.  But the whiteboard - especially when we're outside - is SO hard to read.  This one just says that it's week 16 and I'm feeling happy.  (Not only was it a great appointment - but check out what's going on in there!)

Time for Baby Stats:
-Heart rate at time of appt: 158
-Size of an avocado (4.6 inches; 3.5 oz.)
-Tiny bones are forming in ears - so s/he can listen to me now
-Growing hair, lashes, and eyebrows
-Forming tastebuds

2 comments:

  1. MB, we are friends with your parents. I (Terry) have been praying for you, Joel and the little one for months. So privileged to do so. I love following your progress!

    I had a midwife care for me during my first pregnancy 33 years ago. She was fabulous! She also delivered my daughter. It was a great experience.

    Enjoy each moment the best you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terry,

    Thanks so much! That's very sweet and really means a lot to me. :)

    ReplyDelete