Friday, May 4, 2012

Puggle Preparations

I know, I know... I missed a week.  I was sick last week and then Joel and I went out of town for a birthday/ anniversary weekend.  And quite frankly, I just didn't feel like writing anything. 

Lately, I've been doing some research on how to make sure the pup is ready for this new baby.  We've been told things such as "start preparing her now if you are changing her sleeping arrangements".  (We're not.)  "Make sure you bring something of baby's home from the hospital for her to smell before you bring the baby home".  (That one we knew.)  "Carry a baby doll around the house - preferably one that makes crying noises so the dog can grow accostomed to it."  (Okay - now that's just taking things too far.) 

A few weeks ago our friend Kate came over with her baby.  Belle did NOT like the attention that the baby was getting.  That was the first time I was a little bit concerned.  I know no matter what, it will be a transition for all of us - puggle included, but I want to make it the easiest transition possible.  This past weekend, our same friends kept Belle while we were out of town.  What we were told?  "Well, you're gonna have your hands full in September."  HA!  Belle wanted nothing more than to get into baby things and lick the baby's face.  Let's be honest.  Neither of those things surprised us. 

But really, I'm not too worried about it.  Belle is curious.  And she loves to lick people.  But she is also usually pretty obedient once she knows what the rules are - so long as the rules are consistently enforced at the beginning. We'll make sure she continues to get her walks and we'll spend time with her.  I'm sure the first few weeks will be a challenge, but we'll get through it and then the puppy will have a new friend to play with.  Okay, it will be more than a few weeks before she has someone new to play with, but still...

Here is the 21 week photo... along with a video.  What a ridiculous (six and a half year old) puppy. 


Annnnnd... the video refuses to have sound on it!  What a bummer!   If I can figure it out in the next couple of days, I'll definitely post it.  I'll just say this: Joel has something to say about the choice of the word "playmate". 

Baby stats (as of last week):
-Length of a carrot (10.5 inches long - carrots are that long??? weird!)
-Weighing about three quarters of a pound
-Baby has eyebrows and eyelids.
-If this is a girl, she already has a lifetime supply of eggs in her womb - about 6 million

I (should) get the week 22 post up by the end of the weekend.   Should. 

No comments:

Post a Comment