Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Baby Fortner Goes to Washington

Last night, Joel and I went on a tour of the West Wing.  For those who have watched the show, I'd like to point out that, sadly, Donna doesn't actually work there.  Also, the layout of the building is very different from the show.  T.V.!  I thought it was supposed to be real!  What a disappointment! 

Okay, not really.  I think that was coolest thing that we have done since living here.  Bobbi, who works for V.P. Biden, met us at the gate at 8 PM and got us through security relatively quickly.  We had 6 people in our group, so it was fantastic; we were able to interact with her quite a lot.  We were not able to go into the Situation Room, but she opened the door so we could at least look in a little bit.  She told us stories about working there and about the people.  I learned a lot about the buildings and such.  They change the photos out every couple of weeks, so she told us about most all of those - as well as the paintings. We saw the rose garden (gorgeous), the Roosevelt Room, the Navy Mess, and I feel like I'm leaving stuff out. But none of this was the highlight for me.  I was waiting for the Oval Office.

And then the moment came.  As expected, there was a partition and we could not go in.  That was not going to stop me.  Oh no.  My baby was going to go into the Oval Office.  So I did what any reasonable mother would do.  Forget security!  I scooted up as close as I could to that partition and I stuck my belly into the office of the President of the United States.  That's right ladies and gentlemen, Baby Fortner was in the Oval Office. 

Then the craziest thing happened.  My calm child started kicking and dancing.  I think Baby knew what Mama did was saying thanks.  :)   The only downside to all of that is that my bladder started to feel like it was a play toy.  So as we turned the corner, there were two bathrooms.  Oh yes.  I used the bathroom in the West Wing - not even 100 ft from the Oval Office.  Bet you haven't done that.

All of my photos are from last night - which is really ALMOST week 23.  We were not allowed to take any photos inside the White House so these will have to do.


At home:

Just before entering the West Wing:

Leaving the West Wing: 


Baby Stats for 22 Weeks (Depending on who you ask I'm either at the end of the 5th month or the beginning of the 6th month - not that it really matters):


-Size of a papaya (10.5- 11.8 inches long and 12.7 - 20.8 oz.)
-Eyes and lips are more developed - so baby looks more like a newborn now.
-Sleeping in cycles - about 12 to 14 hours a day

I have no stretch marks or an "outtie"... yet.  Thankfully.  I'm still sleeping pretty well - although I wake up about 3-5 times a night - to use the bathroom or try to get comfortable. Today is the first day that my belly feels heavy to me, although the scale told me that I don't weigh any more, so apparently it's all in my head. 

My next appointment is May 17 - a week from tomorrow.  I believe it's at that point that my pregnancy is considered "viable."  In other words, I could give birth and the chances are quite high that the baby could/ would survive.

Well, Happy Wednesday to you all!  I'll definitely post a bit late for week 23 so that there's actually more than 48 hours between my belly shots.  Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment