Monday, August 27, 2012

Inquiring Mind

This week has been filled with a lot of random thoughts for me.  Mostly questioning things.

1. When we decided to have a baby, did we REALLY think things through?  Did I REALLY understand the concept of my entire life changing???? (Stay in there, baby!!! I'm not ready for my life to be completely different!) 

Seriously, while I'm super, super excited about this new little one, this past week I've wondered if we really know what we're about to be getting ourselves into.  I guess we'll find out soon enough!

2.  Who ARE these doctors and nurses that let us go home with a newborn???  Do they not realize that we are clueless????

Joel has never changed a diaper in his life.  I'm the "experienced" one and it's been YEARS since I was a nanny and babysitter.  Even then, the babies were usually at least 6 months old.  Yeah, yeah, yeah... we'll figure it all out.  But I have to say - I think that any first time parent who says that they aren't even the least bit nervous they'll mess things up are either completely naive - or a liar. 

Don't get me wrong - I've met plenty of plenty of people that make me think "well - shoot - if THEY can do it - then we can CERTAINLY do it."  Ha.  But still... I know that there will be a learning curve.  Ah well - who better to try it on than your own kid?  It will give them something to talk about in therapy years down the road.

3.  What was I even thinking back at week 14???

This week I've been rushing to put together a photo book.  I got a coupon code to get a shutterfly book for free.  The catch is that it has to be done and ordered by Friday.  So I'm doing a week by week of the pregnancy.  (That will get me through 39 weeks.  Let's hope - for the sake of the book of course - that I don't get to 40 weeks.)  It's been pretty funny and amazing to watch how I've changed.  Back at week 14 I was thinking "wow - we HAVE to start taking pictures, I'm really starting to show!!"  HA. HA. HA.  I look at that picture and think "oh my word - where did THAT skinny girl go?  I want her back!!!  There's no baby bump there!"   

In that regard, I want the baby to come sooner rather than later.  Besides, I'd be okay with being that much closer to my hips, back, legs, feet, etc not hurting anymore.  Really, I would!

But - it won't be too much longer.  At this point, I'm due in 11 days.  So, even if this little one is obstinate, they'll induce in 21 days... or 22?  Not exactly sure.  But basically, in 3 weeks at most, we'll have a baby!  Last night I had contractions on and off through the night.  I woke up and feel perfectly normal/ fine.  So I said to the baby "so, it's gonna be like that, huh?" *sigh*

I've been encouraging this little one to come on Friday - or at least for labor to start on Friday... after 10 AM though, because I am meeting a new piano student on Friday morning.  She wants to start with me once I get back to teaching. I'd hate to have to cancel on her.  But more important, that gives Joel's parents a long weekend to not take off of work.  And it's never too early to teach your child to be considerate.  :) 

This week (week 38) the baby:
-Weighs about 6.8 lbs
-Is about 19.5 inches long
-Has a firm grasp
-Organs have matured
-May have an inch or so of hair (totally hope so!!) 

One final thought - I DID test positive for GBS.  (The first negative thing this whole pregnancy.)  Basically, that means that I'll get antibiotics during labor/ delivery so I don't pass it on to the baby.  GBS is a bacterial infection that can come and go and can have (and in my case has) NO symptoms.  Even with the antibiotic, there is a very small chance that it could be passed on.  So please keep baby in your thoughts and prayers so s/he does not get any infections through delivery. 

37 Weeks


38 Weeks

4 comments:

  1. Will definitely continue to pray for baby and parents. You look fantastic. And I know Grandma is getting anxious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sitting next to grandma, sitting next to me. She's excited, that's for sure. Hold on baby Fortner, your quilt isn't quite ready yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell Grandma that it's really okay if the quilt isn't completely finished by the time baby comes. Baby won't know... and I won't tell. :)

      Delete