31 Weeks. That means I only have 9 left. Oh. My. Word.
The last few weeks flew by. I knew they would.
Right after my 27 week point, I held a piano recital for all of my piano students. The afternoon went off perfectly. Each of the students played well, and only one hid behind the piano when his turn came. But hey, he's only 5. It's tough to play in front of 50 people when you're a 5 year old perfectionist. Poor thing. And yet, when he finally DID play, he did so very well. My most advanced student played Bach's Minuet in G beautifully. The parents were all happy with the performances and then there was cake... a piano cake - with kit kat keys. I don't seem to have a picture of mine - but it looked similar to this.
The following week, I had one wrap up lesson with each student and then on Thursday (28 weeks) we left for vacation. It was wonderful. We started in Newport, RI. The drive was long, but not as difficult as I expected. I was certainly ready to be out of the car after 8 hours though! In Newport, we watched the beginning of the Bermuda boat race, toured a few mansions that are preserved through the Preservation Society, ate amazing food, and generally had a fantastic time relaxing.
Next up was Mystic, Ct. On our way there, we stopped in North Stonington to see the house that I lived in as a child. While the yard was quite overgrown my my childhood days, I could still point out where we had our bunnies, built the fort for the kitty we found (and were not allowed to have in the house), and where the UPS guy tried to kill me (true - if a bit dramatized - story). So many memories came flooding back - like the time we had FINALLY convinced my parents to let us sleep outside in a fort we had built. But then, some guy broke into a house of my mom's friend that apparently lived kind of close and that was the end of that. From a parental perspective, sure, I get it. You have to make sure your kid is safe. From a kid's perspective, that was the DUMBEST decision my parents could have made. Clearly, the guy was breaking IN. So we were safer OUT. *sigh* Parents. So ridiculously overprotective. =)
Newport was beautiful and we had a great time, but Mystic was our favorite stop on the trip. It was so relaxing and the B&B we stayed at was perfect. And that portion of our trip was the most relaxing. We hit up the seaport, downtown, the aquarium (where I compared myself to the whales), and just hung out around the B&B relaxing. The weather was fantastic. The people were friendly. The restaurants had great food (we skipped Mystic Pizza). And I got in a couple of naps. Ah - perfection.
Next up was Yale. Well, New Haven - but the point of New Haven was Yale. That was 29 Weeks for me and the beginning of the heat wave that decided to sweep across the East Coast (or Country? I don't keep up with these things.) Being outside was miserable, but we did the Yale Tour - and rubbed the toe of Dr. Woosley - which is said to bring good luck. Perhaps Baby Fortner will be a Yalie. We better start saving now. Tuition's a killer.
And that was our trip. I'm really glad we went. I'm so excited to be starting a family and all that goes along with that, but there's a part of me that's going to really miss these times of just me and Joel - and the freedom that comes with that. So for now, I'm trying to savor every moment and be thankful for it.
There are only 9 weeks left. (Yes - We're down to a single digit countdown. I cannot BELIEVE it!) And when you think about it, I'm only 6 weeks away from being full term. Holy. Moly!
We are close to being ready. As of this week, we had our hospital tour and we're pre-registered with the hospital. Our birthing class is almost over - just 2 more classes, but the big stuff has been covered already. The nursery is more or less set up. It's not going to be what I want it to be. Until about a month ago that really bothered me, but I'm coming to terms with it. Since we don't know if this is a girl or a boy, some of the decorating is on hold. I was going to stick with all neutrals, but the truth is, if it's a girl, the walls will be purple - or aqua blue. A boy will have blue walls. And other decorating hinges on who this is that I'm carrying... so it's just not going to be done before the baby arrives. But what baby hangs out in their nursery anyway? Of course, if someone had said that to me 2 months ago, I would have narrowed my eyes and thought bad things about them.
In our last childbirth class, we were given four questions to discuss with our spouses. The first was "Do you feel ready?" My answer was - and is - "absolutely." Sure - there are the minor things (installation of car seat, we still don't have all the basics yet, etc.), but emotionally, I'm ready. I'm ready to welcome a little baby into our home. The idea of childbirth isn't the terrifying prospect that it once was. I'm not impatient for it (yet), but I'm ready. And that's good, because sometime in the next 10 weeks (hopefully more in the 8 - 9 range), life is going to change. Just a little, right? =)
Baby Stats for 31 Weeks:
- About the size of a pineapple (16ish inches long and about 3.3 pounds)
- Major brain and nerve development is happening
- Major eye development - the irises now react to light
- All 5 senses are in working order






Lookin' good, Mary! Thanks for the update, I was wondering how you're doing. Enjoy these next few weeks.
ReplyDelete