Thursday, April 12, 2012

Boy? Girl? Ultrasound is next week!

Okay, so the truth is that we are NOT going to find out if we're having a boy or girl at next week's ultrasound, but for fun I thought we could speculate today.  Here are some old wive's tales.  I've highlighted the ones that apply to me.  Some of this may be a bit "TMI", but, for accuracy sake (is there such a thing when it comes to OWTs?) I've included it all... well, except for most of the stuff about my breasts, because... well, my dad reads this.  But all you analytical types, don't stress.  I have taken care of you.  I deleted one item from each list and nothing was highlighted.  So it should still be accurate.  HA!


It's a boy if:
  • You didn't experience morning sickness in early pregnancy.  (I had mild morning sickness - no actual throwing up).
  • Your baby's heart rate is less than 140 beats per minute.
  • You are carrying the extra weight out front.
  • Your belly looks like a basketball.
  • You are carrying low.  (I'm carrying in the middle)
  • You are craving salty or sour foods. (I am this trimester!)
  • You are craving protein -- meats and cheese.
  • Your feet are colder than they were before pregnancy.
  • The hair on your legs has grown faster during pregnancy.
  • Your hands are very dry.
  • Your pillow faces north when you sleep.
  • Dad-to-be is gaining weight right along with you.
  • Pregnancy has you looking better than ever.
  • Your urine is bright yellow in color.
  • Your nose is spreading.
  • You hang your wedding ring over your belly and it moves in circles.
  • You are having headaches.
  • You add your age at the time of conception and the number for the month you conceived and the sum is an even number.
It's a girl if:
  • You had morning sickness early in pregnancy. (Again - it was mild - not sure where this goes).
  • Your baby's heart rate is at least 140 beats per minute.
  • You are carrying the weight in your hips and rear.
  • Your left breast is larger than your right breast.
  • Your hair develops red highlights.
  • You are carrying high.
  • Your belly looks like a watermelon.
  • You are craving sweets. (First trimester this is mostly all I wanted!  But now I'm not as much)
  • You are craving fruit. (Again - this was big during the first trimester).
  • You crave orange juice.
  • You don't look quite as good as normal during pregnancy.
  • You are moodier than usual during pregnancy.
  • Your face breaks out more than usual.
  • You refuse to eat the heel of a loaf of bread. (But I ALWAYS have - so does this REALLY mean anything, I think not.)
  • Your pillow faces south when you sleep.  Okay - seriously - how can you tell, because it seems to be that your pillow would either be north/ south OR east/west.  But this "it's facing north" business doesn't make sense.  I mean, if one side is facing north, isn't the OTHER side facing south???  So how are you supposed to tell?
  • Your urine is a dull yellow color.
  • You hang your wedding ring over your belly and it moves from side (both ways have happened.)
  • You add your age at the time of conception and the number for the month you conceived and the sum is an odd number.


I've also looked that the Chinese gender prediction calendar on few different websites.  It usually tells me boy, but sometimes comes up girl.  It just depends on how THAT website calculates the Chinese lunar calendar. 

All crazy speculation aside, I really don't care what we have...as long as it's not a donkey.  (That's right, Joel!  I'm putting in on the record: NO donkeys!)  I originally thought we were having a girl.  But I felt like that before even getting pregnant - and have no basis for feeling that way.  Lately, I have kind of felt like it was a boy.  Again - no reason to think it. 

Reasons I prefer a boy:
1. We really struggled to find a boys name that we liked, but once we figured it out, I found that I actually like it BETTER than I like our girls name.
2. I think every little girl needs a big brother.  So, it would be great if we had a boy first.

Reasons I prefer a girl:
1. Dresses
2. Tea parties
Need I say more?

I guess the saying is true: "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit!" 

And check it out... I managed to find a way to style my hair that I like!  (And... read the sign for sure this time!)



So what do you think?  Is my belly more like a basketball or more like a watermelon? 
Baby Stats:
-Size of a mango (6 inches, 8.5 oz)
-Developing a protective coating over his/ her skin
-Nerve cells for the 5 senses are developing

1 comment:

  1. I know what you're having - A BABY!! And he/she will be adorable, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete